Tuesday, February 3, 2009

He plays

The Beginning:

I still remember vividly the first time I met you. You wore your favorite black shirt and jeans, with your hair cropped into a crew cut and your big hands residing always in your pocket jeans. It was a huge birthday bash my best friend threw and I was bored all evening around people whom I wasn't familiar with.

You didn't know me back then. I didn't either.

But your existence inscribed hard onto that chapter of the diary of my life when your gaze fell on me catching me staring at you and with a smug on your face, you walked towards the grand piano in the hall and fingered the keys gracefully, transforming the melodious music notes into the most beautiful Rachmaninov's piece I've ever heard.
Watching your lean calm back, I fell in love with you for the first time.
Nevertheless, when you ended your playing, I got a hold on myself, shrugging off the feeling as a foolish little crush and took off from the party with a rush of adrenaline blended with a heavy self-inflicted compunction. Love at first sight is a fool's illusion after all.
A week later, I visited my favorite music store. It was one of the most unique stores- unlike a typical one, this store has a piano in the middle and there will always be someone playing, be it a staff member or a regular customer. That's when I met you again, playing a different piece- it was a Debussy's.
And this time, you didn't play till the end. You stopped abruptly, looked up and caught me staring subconsciously at you again.
"You like the piano?"
That was the first time I heard your voice.
"Yeah." I nodded apprehensively.
"Do you play the piano?"
"Yeah." I nodded again.
"Do you want to play together?"
"Huh?!" I was startled by your offer.
"I'm asking if you would like to play a piano duet with me?" Your lips curled into a genuine smile.
I lifted my finger up and pointed it to myself, quipping, "Me?"
"Come on, join me; I can't play this piece alone." You started playing the Blue Danube Waltz duet style. Your eyes then beckoned me to fill in the empty space of the seat you were sitting on.
Responding to your persuasive invitation, I placed my fingers on the board and filled in the duet's part. We played and played all day.
"You played beautifully. What's your name?"
That was the first time you complimented me. And I realized, that's when I fell in love with you again.
"Christine." I blushed.
"And you have a beautiful name too. My name's Gary. Would you like to have tea with me?"

*****
The conclusion:

I looked at you with my tears streaming down my cheeks, ruining my make up at the same time. After a still moment of crying while you waited patiently for my answer, I looked into your eyes and nodded, saying, "Of course, my dear."

You gently took my hand, placed the ring through my fourth finger of my left hand and lifted my chin up lightly and drew your lips upon mine to give me the sweetest kiss ever.

The words you whispered into my ears were still echoing over and over again.
"Sweetie, will you marry me?"

"Baby, remember the song "Your call" by Secondhand Serenade?" I asked quietly.
" 'Waiting for your call, I'm sick, call I'm angry; Call I'm desperate for your voice...' " you sang when I stopped you when I place my index finger on your lips.
"I was born to tell you I love you.." I sang with my choked voice, hugging him in the moment.
"I love you, baby. I love you, love you," I whispered.
"I love you too, my beautiful Christine."

*****
I remember writing this last year. I couldn't complete it because I had a lot of things to do then. Maybe I'll continue the story. And re-edit some parts. Such as the first encounter- it happened too fast.
This story always reminds me of the feeling that I had when I wrote it. It wasn't anything like me liking somebody at that moment at all, no. Inspiration came upon me and the feeling was like....magic... I know that's so Sleepless Nights in Seattle, but I understood the real meaning then. =)
Love is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

I'll love you, dear, I'll love you
Till China and Africa meet,
And the river jumps over the mountain
And the salmon sing in the street.
I'll love you till the ocean
Is folded and hung up to dry
And the seven stars go squawking
Like geese about the sky.

[As I Walked Out One Evening]
W.H. Auden, 1907-73, English born Poet

2 comments:

-randallc- said...

wow...that was such a romantic story..haiya..
thought it was u urself experiencing it...or else u can also kahwin edy
:)
together with st paul and mike..
keep it up ur writing..gets better n better

Sight Unseen said...

Thank you for your encouragement!